Sunday, October 21, 2007

Xbox Media Center 2.0, I finally updated

I finally got around to updating my Xbox with the latest version of Xbox Media Center and damn, a lot has certainly happened in the three and a half years that have passed since my previous version was released.

Yeah, that's right I was running a version from 2004 and yes, it's scandalous. So enough about that.

The reason it's taken so long is that up until recently it's been sufficient for my needs and working flawlessly. But lately I've stumbled upon several media-files that have been giving me problems so I cracked and got myself an upgrade.

XBMC has really matured and I gotta say that now it's about as good as a media center application can get. I've been wracking my brain the past ten minutes trying to think of a feature that I really miss, but just can't think of one. That's how good I think it's gotten. It's free, it's open and it's very, very usable. What more can you ask for really?

It's displaying movies in real 16:9 ratio on my big screen LCD-TV, and, even though I might be imagining this, I believe the quality of the media looks better than before. I just can't praise this software enough. Until there's something like this for the Xbox 360 the original black monster is still the better of the two, no matter how many awesome games there are for the 360.

The scripts addition I especially like. Being able to easily watch movie trailers from Apple.com for example directly on my Xbox rocks my socks off.

All this and "Halo" too! Praise the Xbox! Praise the modchip! And especially praise the Xbox Media Center developers!

No comments: